It is no longer a secret that Real Madrid are presently looking for a new Goalie. Everyone expected the task of filling the void created by the departure of Iker Casillas to be difficult. But the fact that it would surmount to such an arduous undertaking is something that even Mr. Perez could not have assumed.
At present, Keylor Navas is the first choice goalkeeper for Los Blancos. His performance in the ongoing season has been a concoction of mixed good and bad, to say the least. The Bernabeu faithful are also variedly opined on the Costa Rican’s shot-stopping techniques.
It is presently rumoured that Real Madrid are considering paying out the contract fee of Keylor Navas to release him. That would enable them to go on a full-blown pursuit for Man United’s David De Gea.
De Gea had signed a new contract with Man United in September 2015 after a pre-agreed deal with Real Madrid acrimoniously fell through on transfer deadline day. The new contract saw him earn a reported £200,000 a week and is said to carry a release clause of around £55m.
So, if Real Madrid are to snatch him away from the Reds of Manchester it would supposedly cost them a fortune. Having said that, Los Blancos have never been shy of paying up big money to acquire the services of top players.
But if the deal does go through it will break the world record transfer fee for a goalkeeper which is presently held by Gianluigi Buffon of Juventus. Let’s have a look at the player stats and performances for both of them.
David de Gea
- The Spanish International has played 35 games in Premier League this season, accumulating 3150 minutes.
- De Gea has made a remarkable 74 saves for the Red Devils in the matches he has played.
- The former Atletico man also kept 14 clean sheets making him the 3rd best keeper in the PL this season.
- The only blemish in his glamorous resume would be the fact that out of 4 penalties conceded by Man United, he has managed to save none. (Source: FotMob)
- The Costa Rican has played only 25 matches in the La Liga with Los Blancos, accumulating 2250 minutes.
- The former Levante man has had a horrid time between the sticks and has managed to keep only 4 clean sheets.
- Navas has also made a remarkable 71 saves for Real Madrid.
- He saved 1 out of 2 penalties conceded. (Source: FotMob)
Seeing the stats above it is clear as daylight that the De Gea is head and shoulders above his Costa Rican counterpart. Also, being just 26 years of age, De Gea’s best years are yet to come. He might provide the long-term solution to Real Madrid’s problem in-front of goal.
Nonetheless, he has been the main man for United of late and also been voted their Player of the Year for three seasons running. So, one could assume how hard Madrid would have to bargain to lure him away from Old Trafford.