After much speculation and transfer rumours, finally, the flamboyant Portuguese of AS Monaco, Bernardo Silva has completed a move to Manchester City.
The transfer fee for the player is estimated to be around £43m, with many pundits assuming this as only the start of marquee signings by City this summer.
Guardiola had never finished lower than 2nd or endured more than five defeats in any domestic league in his managing career, putting his season with the Sky Blues finishing third as his worst till date (compared to his own standards).
And the Catalan is showing that he means business and is ready to fire on all fronts this time around, leaving no stone unturned.
Bernardo Silva, had an amazing season with Monaco and being only 22 years of age and seeing the quality and potential the youngster possesses, he is going to be an ideal long-term replacement for the attacking midfielder, David Silva now 31.
Let us take a sneak peek into the stats of the Monaco man and see how he squares up.
Bernardo Silva – Player Stats
- The 22-year-old had a significant part in the team’s run to winning the League 1 after 17 years and has received praise from fans and pundits alike for his contribution.
- The youngster has started 33 games in a total of 37 appearances he made for the Club in the league, scoring 8 and making 9 assists in the process. More than impressive for a 22-year-old!
- The youngster played a significant part in the team’s run up to the Quarter Final in the Champions League and also was instrumental in defeating Pep’s blue army 3-1 at the Stades de Rennes which saw them qualify on away goals at 6-6 aggregate.
- The player possesses a healthy pass success average of 78% and has also contributed an astounding 74 key passes in all competitions for his Club. A feat that certainly shows the creativity and vision of the attacking midfielder and the impact he has in the midfield.
- The player’s superior ball control and dribbling techniques along with his superb finishing quality have made pundits and experts to identify him as one of Europe’s top prospects.
- The dynamic Portuguese is also versatile when it comes to playing in more than a position as the 22-year has flourished when posted on either side of the field even as a forward. Shows just the quality that Pep has invested on.
(Stats via WhoScored)
What’ll he bring to Club?
A club whose midfield already comprises the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, David Silva, Ilkay Gundogan and Yaya Toure, the inclusion of this young prospect will not only further the quality of the squad but would also strengthen it.
Vying for all the top honours next season, it seems Pep has his priorities set. With the creativity, vision and the ability to chip in with the odd goal every now and then, it seems Man City’s midfield would be impregnable for opponents.
A gem of an addition, the Citizens are already hyped with the news of the Portuguese international’s arrival.
Worth the Money?
Being 22 year old and one of Europe’s top prospects in the midfield, the price tag of £43m is more than justifiable.
And having already established his prowess and quality with the ball, Pep seems to have invested in the right stock, one that is sure to pay him rich dividends in the near future.
All eyes on Pep’s next move!