Latest reports link the Leicester City, winger Riyad Mahrez to a possible move to the Emirates Stadium this summer. The Foxes had endured a turbulent title defence campaign this season where at one point they were on the brink of battling relegation.
The Leicester midfielder is apparently on the radar of Arsene Wenger who after having signed a new 2-year contract extension with Arsenal would surely be looking forward to making some “statement signings”.
Mahrez had been an instrumental figure in Leicester City’s inaugural Premier League triumph in 2016 playing an indispensable role on the wings providing quality and width to his team.
Although the Foxes have had a torrid season this time around, the quality of the Algerian has been more or less consistent.
The player is currently tied to his present employer till the summer of 2020 and with 3 years presently remaining on his contract, the Foxes are said to demand an asking price of £40m for their star winger.
Let us take a look at the stats of the winger.
Riyad Mahrez – Player Stats
- The player has made 36 appearances for his club, which goes to show the consistency and faith granted to the midfielder. Not proving his managers wrong, the eccentric midfielder has scored 10 goals and 5 assists for his club in all competitions.
- The Player is not shy when it comes to taking chances in front of goal and is also known for his creativity and immaculate vision which makes defending against the Algerian a living nightmare for any defender.
- The player’s pass success rate of 77% along with his contribution of an astounding 65 key passes does go to show the impact and effect the talisman brings in the heart of the field. A serious quality to have in any midfield for any team.
- Making a total of 33 interceptions for the Foxes, the winger proves he is also quite good at defensive awareness and helps in dissipating early attacks into his half.
- The player is a threat to his opponents with his long crosses, agility and tactical awareness down the flank, making him a true talent to incorporate in the team sheet. (WhoScored)
What’ll he bring to the Club?
With the tension growing around the Emirates regarding the future of Ozil and Sanchez, the signing of Mahrez might provide the Gunners faithful with some respite and relief.
Regardless of the future of the German and the Chilean, Riyad Mahrez would be a gem of a prospect for Wenger, a gaffer who has developed many raw young talents and moulded them into a bigger and better-finished product.
The Algerian would provide the team with speed, creativity and vision in the attacking third generating several chances for the strikers and attacking midfielders just like we had seen him do at Leicester.
An area where Arsene needs to really fortify has been the wings and the signing of the star Algerian might just provide Wenger with the much-needed assurance.
Worth the Money?
Evaluating the quality and skill the individual brings into a team and considering the age of the youngster, the price tag of £40m is very much justifiable.
The youngster would be a long-term prospect for the club as well as an ideal replacement for Walcott who has been an on-off player for the Gunners for the last couple of seasons being plagued with injury and fitness issues.
Safe to say this is a transfer that has had many Arsenal fans up and running!
All eyes on Wenger with this one.